Wyrelite Radio originally started out in 2008
It quickly became a firm favourite with online listeners from the USA and Australia and not forgetting us here in the UK.
After only a year of broadcasting we came second in the Internet Radio Awards, such a great achievement.
Due to circumstances beyond our control in late 2010 and due to family commitments, it was decided to call it a day.
However the name Wyrelite has been kept alive with intention of re-launching at some point.
I am glad to say that www.wyrelite.com is now back as a great hit music service for you to enjoy.
Gary & Gavin
Wyre Light was the first beacon in the world to come into service founded offshore on cast iron screw piles. It stands on sandbanks approximately two miles off the town of Fleetwood marking the
position where the Lune Deep joins the navigation channel of the River Wyre.
The original name of the light was Port Fleetwood Lighthouse. The sandbanks it stands on are exposed only at low tide and are known as North Wharf. The light is one of three that guide boats into Fleetwood, the other two are onshore — the Pharos and the Beach Lighthouse.
To build the lower part of the light, earth and stones were deposited on the sand to a thickness of several feet before the seven wrought iron piles were installed. These are 16ft long and have cast iron screw bases, 3ft in diameter. The six corner piles are set at an inclination of 1 in 5 and the centre one is vertical. They form a 50ft diameter hexagon in plan. Installation of the piles started in late 1839.
A superstructure supporting the lantern and a two storey building to house the keeper were then built, though these were later destoyed by fire and not replaced. Originally, seven timber baulks (beams at an angle) supported the superstructure, six 48ft ones on the outside and a 57ft one in the centre. The lantern was 45ft above half-tide level. It was first lit on 6th June 1840.
After the fire, the beacon was made automatic. The lighthouse was taken out of service and replaced by a lighted buoy in 1979 and has been derelict ever since.